A family was able to escape their burning home in the middle of the night unscathed, thanks to their favorite furry feline.
The family’s black and white cat was the first to notice the flames at around 3:30 a.m. on Thursday. The parents and two children were sleeping when the cat apparently pawed its way into its owner’s bedroom and bit the mother on the arm to warn her, the Edmonton Journal reported.
 The County of Grande Prairie Fire Department in Alberta, Canada confirmed the cat was partially responsible for the rescue.
“A cat is being credited with alerting a family to a fire in their home early this morning,” County of Grande Prairie Fire Chief Trevor Grant said in a news statement. “The family escaped the home without any injuries.”
Shortly after fire crews began to put out the fire, freelance photographer William Vavrek arrived on the scene.
“I arrived to see smoke coming from the …
READ MORE ON CBSNEWS.COM