The nose always knows and a Waterville, Maine, dog’s sniffer got a whiff of smoke early Wednesday morning.
According to a press release from the Waterville Fire Department, firefighters received a call about a house fire in the area at one o’clock in the morning on Jan. 3.
The homeowners were able to call for help thanks to their dog. Both of the canine’s owners were asleep in the home’s living room when the fire started. As the living room began to fill with smoke, the family dog woke up his snoozing best friends.
The family tried to put out the fire themselves, but it was already too large.
Can’t get enough of cats, dogs and other furry friends? Click here  to get the cutest pet news and photos delivered directly to your inbox. 
The home sustained extensive fire damage to an exterior wall and roof and light smoke damage to an interior wall. The …
READ MORE ON PEOPLE.COM